Friday, May 18, 2007

The day after that

Wow, it's been five days since Mother's Day. That means six days since my trek under Battlefield Road and through Sequiota Park. I'm not trying to be a big, fat slacker. No, really, I'm not. At least that's what I keep telling myself.

A brief recap: Well, Monday, I went to Evangel University. That's the school that let me come and spread my heresy last Fall. I knew that they wanted me to come back, but hadn't heard what classes or how many and it just so happened that I had borrowed a book from the department chair. How convenient. Towards the end of the conversation, he asked the million dollar question: How is it going with getting your credentials. What? Credentials? Oh, yeah, that's the application that's been sitting on the counter for a few weeks. Here's the backstory: The president of Evangel requires all the Theology professors, adjunct or full time, to have their minister's license with the Assemblies of God. Needless to say, my motivation to get my license is dependent on teaching at Evangel and not on actually preaching. My wife and I talked about this long and hard. We both feel that my expertise lay in the classroom and not the pulpit. I hesitate to say never, but I don't see myself in the pulpit. I guess I can see the president's point, but it doesn't make it any easier.

So, chair asked the big question and I had to tell him the truth. To make a "brief" story shorter, I have been working for the last four days on getting everything done that I can do. That means, meeting with people, passing out references, getting transcripts, all that's done. Now, I have to wait for the references to get in, then go take a test over all the things the A/G believes. What could be more fun??? Well, I've already been to the dentist and I don't have any cavities, so that's out.

I have talked to the chair recently and he told me that those who are seriously pursuing their credentials will have the opportunity to teach. So, that's the good thing. That means that I'll still be able to teach even without the paper in hand. That's a good thing.

So, now I'm six days removed from my last hike. That means I better get my new pack and get moving.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:


Post a Comment

<< Home